Today's recommendation: Freedom Writers
Suitable for Year 7+
Available to buy or rent on YouTube or Google play
1. What is Eva’s (first speaker) view of herself and her “people”?
2. Why did Erin Gruwell (Ms. G) decide to teach instead of be a lawyer?
3. List some opposition/obstacles Ms. G faces in the beginning.
4. Describe the racial situation in Long Beach at the time.
5. How do the students in room 203 begin to relate to one another?
6. Who is a character you like or relate to the most so far? why?
7. How did Ms G relate to and engage with the students?
8. What does Ms. G do when she finds the picture of Jamal? What historical event does she bring up?
9. What is the philosophy of the students? How do they perceive “graduation”?
10. What diary entry moved you the most? Which story struck you the most? Why?
11. What main message do you think this movie conveys?
We hope you enjoyed this week's recommendation - Please stay tuned on our social media for new recommendations every week!